|Y.Bhg. Dato' Dr. Ravindran Jegasothy
03-26155555 Ext 5450
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is one of the largest departments in Hospital Kuala Lumpur. It is located within the Maternity Block of the Kuala Lumpur Hospital compound. It is the national referral centre for obstetrical and gynecological services in the country.
As Kuala Lumpur Hospital is a tertiary level care institution, a number of our clinical activities are directed at providing consultative and teaching services for a number of peripheral hospitals.
The Maternity Hospital Kuala Lumpur was officially launched on 18th January 1963 by the then Raja Permaisuri Agong. The project was first conceived in 1958 to ease the overcrowding of the Maternity Section of the General Hospital, and was completed in late 1962. It was build at the cost of RM 5 million. The Maternity Hospital plays an important role as the premier maternity hospital of the Ministry of Health in Malaysia. Its main purpose was not only to cater to the needs of the people of Kuala Lumpur, but also to provide facilities for seriously ill patients from the rural areas. It would also serve as a training centre for both midwives and nurses. For these purposes a well-equipped lecture theatre, a laboratory and museum, conference room and hospital accommodation were provided for trainees.
The hospital started off with 214 beds. Of these, 20 were first class beds, 64 second class beds and the remaining 156 were third class beds. A day after its official opening the first two babies were delivered. A total of 759,335 deliveries have been conducted in this hospital from 1963 to 2002, making this one of the largest and busiest maternity hospital in the world.
Events Leading To Construction Of MHKL
1958: The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Y.B. Dato' V.T. Sambanthan, while visiting the General Hospital, was greatly distressed at the overcrowding in the wards, particularly in the maternity section. It was decided that a modern well-equipped maternity hospital be built in the Federal Capital. Mr K C Duncan, a senior architect of the PWD headquarters had designed the new hospital.
1960: Foundation stone was laid on 12 May, 1961 by Y.T.M. Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj, the Prime Minister of Malaya.
1963: On the 18th of January Her Majesty The Raja Permaisuri Agong officially inaugurated the opening of the Maternity Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
1965: Prof .H. De Walterville the Secretary-General of the International Federation described the Maternity Hospital as"comparable to the best in the world". Dr Llewellyn Jones was the first Head of the Maternity Hospital.
1967: The National Family Planning Board set up a comprehensive Family Planning Clinic in the Maternity Hospital.
1974: The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the Medical Faculty, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaya (as it was known then) was set up at the Maternity Hospital.
1984: The Low Risk Centre was established as an effort by the Ministry of Health to decongest the maternity third class wards.
1986: The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of London conducted the MRCOG Part II Examination at the Maternity Hospital.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology apart from offering O&G services also functions as a training centre.