|Dato' Dr. Abdul Razak b. Abdul Muttalif
INSTITUTE OF RESPIRATORY MEDICINE
INSTITUT PERUBATAN RESPIRATORI or better known as IPR was established in 1958 as a small clinic called Clinic Jalan Pahang. New structures were built in 1960 to house the country National Tuberculosis Program and Tuberculosis Hospital. The new establishment then was named National Tuberculosis centre. It served as the nerve centre for TB control activity and its laboratory served as National Referral Laboratory for Tuberculosis. With the decline Tuberculosis and expansion of new respiratory disease services, in 1996 the new name was introduced. Institut Perubatan Respiratori or Institute of Respiratory Medicine now function as the hospital providing specialized care in all area of respiratory medicine and not only managing tuberculosis. the bed strength of this hospital is 104 with 4 high dependency beds and 4 newly built negative pressure isolation rooms
IPR offers diagnostic respiratory services namely bronchoscopy, sleep laboratory, full lung function laboratory and tuberculosis laboratory. Another recent achievement of IPR was the collaboration with Institut Jantung Negara to initiate the Lung Transplant Program. Other supporting services include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and pulmonary rehabilitation, TB medical social and contact clinic. IPR is also a post graduate training centre for respiratory medicine, regularly organizing courses on Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Update. To complete the Respiratory Medicine service IPR recently reintroduce the Lung Cancer Management with its own chemotherapy drug Reconstitution Room and Ambulatory Care Centre that shall housed all the diagnostic services.
Institute of Respiratory Medicine is to become a center of excellence in the field of respiratory medicine encompassing health care, health education, training and research through good teamwork, professional and client-friendly staffs.
The Institute will strive to provide quality and client-friendly health care services by:
1. Being responsive to the needs of all clients (internal and external)
2. Practicing corporate culture through teamwork, caring and professionalism all the time.
3. Conducting continuous training and
4. Sharing responsibility with the clients and the local community
1. To provide a holistic health care encompassing promotive, preventive, curative, rehabilitative and palliative, based on good values and client-friendly approach.
2. To create a save and condusive working atmosphere and environment such that the staff can perform well.
3. To make the Institute as the national center of excellence in the field of respiratory medicine.
1. To provide comprehensive health care services for TB patients and other respiratory disease patients so as to reduce the prevalence of TB to only one case for every 1,000 population, and to reduce mortality due to respiratory diseases.