|Head of Department||Dr. Arni Talib
The Department of Pathology is composed of multiple pathology disciplines providing diagnostic service not just to Hospital Kuala Lumpur but also to the whole country as it is the National Referral Center for pathology services of the Ministry of Health. This department is one of the largest clinical departments in Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) with more than 460 laboratory staff from various categories. The department has been accredited to MS ISO 15189:2007 (Medical Laboratories – Particular Requirements for Quality and Competence) by Department of Standards Malaysia from 3rd January 2013 until 3rd January 2016. As part of Kuala Lumpur Hospital, the department has also obtained ISO 9001:2008 certificated from SIRIM starting from 9th September 2011 until 19th May 2014.
To be the Premier Reference Laboratory by providing accurate and timely diagnostic services for patient care and community health.
1. To ensure that all testing and related activities are carried out in accordance with documented procedures and appropriate methodologies.
2. To ensure all laboratory personnel are competent and comply with the policies and procedures, guidelines standards and rules.
3. To sustain and improve Pathology services accordance to ISO 9001:2008, MSQH and MS ISO15189 and MS ISO/IEC17025:2005.
4. To provide the right environment to enhance training and research.
|i.||Pre-Analytical Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|ii.||Chemical Pathology Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|iii.||Histopathology Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|iv.||Cytology Unit||Second floor in the main block of HKL|
|v.||Microbiology Unit Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|vi.||Haematology Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|vii.||Drug and Research Laboratory||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|viii.||Clinical Toxicology Laboratory||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|ix.||Core Laboratory||First floor in the main block of HKL|
Maternity Clinical Laboratory- Ground floor in Maternity Hospital, HKL
|xi.||Peadiatric Laboratory||Ground floor of the Peadiatric Institute|
|xii.||SCACC Pathology Laboratory and Phlebotomy||First floor in HKL's SCACC Building|
|xiii.||Quality Unit||Second floor in the main block of HKL|
|xiv.||Finance Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|xv.||Information Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|xvi.||Administration Unit||First floor in the main block of HKL|
|xvii.||Infection Control Unit||Opposite (behind) Radicare Operational Office, HKL|
The department is divided into 15 units (11 diagnostic and 4 non-diagnostic units)
It is our policy to provide reliable and timely results to our customers through continual improvement of the services.
Quality policy statement
Department of Pathology, HKL is committed to provide analytical, interpretative and advisory services in the fields of Chemical pathology, Microbiology,Hematology, Anatomic Histopathology with the highest quality laboratory service.
The objectives of the Quality Management System are to meet the needs and requirements of its users :
- Ensure all laboratory personnel comply with all policies and procedures relevant to their work.
- Provide appropriate training to all categories of staff.
- The use of examination procedures that will ensure the highest achievable quality of all tests performed.
- Issue timely and accurate test results.
The laboratory complies with the requirements of MS ISO 15189: 2014, ISO 9001:2008 and Pathology/Laboratory Service Standards 15, 4th Edition of Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH).
1. Customers will be treated with care, consideration and dignity.
2. Customers will be given a clear and comprehensive explanation about the test requests
3. Specimens will be dealt according to standard work processes and procedures
4. Tests will be performed promptly and accurately using proven methodology and appropriate technology.
5. Patient information and test results will be treated with confidentiality
6. Customers will be given technical advisory and clinical consultancy.
The Department of Pathology provides diagnostic and consultancy service in the following disciplines of pathology:
1. Chemical Pathology
5. Medical Microbiology
6. Clinical Toxicology
7. Drug of abuse testing
These services are provides for HKL and various clinic, government hospitals, and government agencies, university hospitals and private health institutions.
The department also provides specialized pathology service by trained pathologists and highly skilled technical personnel in the following sub specialties which include:
1. Chemical Pathology
- Endocrine and Metabolic
- Protein and Proteomics
- Inborn Error Metabolism
2. Anatomical Pathology
- Pediatric pathology
- Neuromuscular Pathology
- Gynecology Pathology
- Renal Pathology
- Bone and soft tissue Pathology
- Urology Pathology
- Red cell disorder
- Stem Cells
- Hematology-Oncology (Molecular)
4. Medical Microbiology
- General Serology
- QMS in Pathology Laboratory
- Quality Tools
- Auditors for DSM, SIRIM
- Quality Trainer for department,MOH hospital and university hospitals.
The services are carried out by the respective laboratories at various sites which are mostly situated within the main laboratory complex. Administratively the above services are provided by 12 diagnostic units which include Chemical Pathology, Hematology, Histopathology, Cytology, Microbiology, Virology, Drug and Research Laboratory, Clinical Toxicology,Pediatric Laboratory, Satellite Laboratories, Core Laboratory and Preanalytical Unit.
Core Laboratory is an integrated laboratory which provides 24 hour routine test service to the hospital. Pre Analytical Unit manages specimens at pre analytical stage, from specimen reception at the main specimen reception counter to handling and sorting out of samples before tests are being carried out. Pediatric and Satellite laboratories provide routine chemical pathology and hematology tests to Pediatric Institute and to the nearby clinics respectively.
Click the respective unit for more information about the unit and services provided.
1. Chemical Pathology Unit
2. Haematology Unit
- DNA ANALYSIS FOR THALASSEMIA SYNDROMES (english version)
- DNA ANALYSIS FOR THALASSEMIA SYNDROMES (Malay version)
3. Histopathology Unit
4. Cytology Unit
5. Microbiology Unit (Include Virology)
6. Drug and Research Laboratory Unit
7. Pathology SCACC
8. Core Laboratory Unit
-Laboratory Investigation Guidelines For Chronic Disease And Utilisation Of eGFR In Adults
- Preanalytical Unit
Information about request form, samples/specimen, types of specimen containers, transportation of specimen and rejection of tests are available under the topic of Pre analytical unit.
-SOP For Transportation of Biological Specimen
9. Toxicology Unit
10. Point of Care Testing (POCT)
- QC Sheet Glucometer Accu-chek Performa
- How To Fill In IQC Glucometer Form
- Accu-Chek Performa QC Handling Chart
- Quick Guide Accu-Chek Performa Handling Chart
LIST OF TEST
⇒Click here to view a complete list of tests available in Pathology Department.
Other than diagnostic service, Pathology Department also provides advisory and consultancy service to the Ministry of Health in matters related to pathology service. It is also a consultation referral center for diagnostic service accreditation according to ISO 15189:2007 for other laboratories under the Ministry of Health.
⇒Click here to view full version of pathology handbook.
|No||Name of the functional unit||Service hours||Specimen reception counter|
|1.||Makmal Teras (Core Lab)||24 hours service||Pre-analytical Unit|
|2.||Pediatric Laboratory||24 hours service||Sent directly to Pediatric Lab|
|3.||Microbiology||24 hours service||Pre-analytical Unit|
|4.||Histopathology||i.0730 - 1730 hours
ii.0930 - 1030 hours( Saturday for receiving specimens )
|Sent directly to Histopathology Unit|
|5.||Cytology unit||0730 - 1730 hours||Sent directly to Cytology Unit|
|6.||Chemical Pathology||0730 - 1730 hour||Pre-analytical Unit|
|7.||Haematology unit||0730 - 1730 hours||Sent directly to Haematology Unit (Office hour) Pre-analytical Unit (After office hour)|
|8.||Drug & Research Laboratory||i.0730 - 2100 hours
ii.0830 - 1330 hours
- Sunday Close
|Pre-analytical Unit, except for specimens brought by enforcement officers which are received at the Drug Lab Receiving Counter (After office hour)|
||i.Monday to Friday 0730 - 1730
ii.Saturday 0830 - 1330
- Sunday and Public Holiday (by Appointment)
|10.||Satellite Laboratory (Maternity Clinical Laboratory)||0800 - 1700 hours||Meternity Laboratory Specimen reception counter|
|11.||SCACC Pathology Laboratory and Phlebotomy Unit||0730 - 1700 hours||Speciment reception counter|
A Medical Officer and a Pathologist on call are available for consultation or assistance after office hours.
⇒Click here for important contact numbers in pathology department.
Routine test results from Chemical Pathology, Hematology, Microbiology, Virology and Drug laboratories are placed in the designated pigeon hole near the main reception counter of the Pre-Analytical Unit. Refer the below link for designated pigeon hole numbers.
⇒Click here for list of Pigeon Hole number
In Pediatric Laboratory and Satellite Laboratories, the test results can be obtained from the respective laboratories.
Urgent test results:
i) Will be informed via telephone to the requesting ward/clinic doctor (For histopathology and cytopathology, please refer to the relevant section)
ii) The result can be collected by staff who brings the specimen to the laboratory
URGENT TEST RESULTS
All critical result will be notified to the requester immediately
Enquiry of test result shall be made using a specific form for tracing laboratory results i.e BORANG MENDAPATKAN KEPUTUSAN UJIAN PATOLOGI, HKL/JP/PA/AK-05-01 at the information Counter of the Preanalytical Unit. Staff needs to fill up the form and present it to the information counter. This form is supplied by the Stationary Section, Administration Division of Kuala lumpur Hopsital.
Alternatively inquiry of test results can be made via telephone on extension 5610, but this should be kept to a minimum and also through Lab viewer in the Ward.
For Histopathology and Cythopatology,reports should be collected by respective clinics/ wards/ departments from the Histopathology or Cythopatology office respectively.
OUTSOURCING OF TEST
The Department of Pathology will outsource certain test which are not offered by this laboratory.
For outsourcing tests, following procedures must be followed:
i) The request shall be made by a specialist and the requesting specialist must first discuss with the Pathologist concerned
ii) The department may require quotation/quotations for a particular test from the outsourced testing medical laboratory/laboratories from the requesting specialist. The quotations need to be submitted to Department of Pathology together with completely filled request form for approval.
iii) The specimen can be collected from a patient after the request to outsource the test is approved by Department of Pathology. The laboratory staff or Pathologist concerned must be informed when the specimen is taken.
iv) Transportation of specimen to the outsourced testing medical laboratory:-
a) If the outsourced testing laboratory provides specimen collection service:
- The specimen should be sent to the specimen reception counter in Department of Pathology.
- The specimen together with the approval letter will be collected by the staff from the outsourced testing laboratory from Department of Pathology.
b) If the outsourced testing medical laboratory does not provide specimen collection service:
- The requesting specialist shall first get the approval letter from Department of Pathology.
- The requesting specialist shall make arrangement to send the specimen to the outsourced testing laboratory.
- The specimen should be sent together with approval letter which include commitment for payment to the outsourced testing laboratory.
- The outsourced testing medical laboratory shall issue the report and invoice for payment to the Department of Pathology.
- Department of Pathology will then send the report to the requesting doctor.
- Payment will only be made by Department of Pathology after receiving the result/ report from the outsourced testing laboratory according to the invoice.
Pathology Department is involved in research and research projects in collaboration with other departments in HKL, local universities and other agencies. Application for approval and proposal for individual or collaborative research shall be submitted to the Hospital Director and Head of Pathology Department, Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
Flow chart – Management of Research Application In Department Of Pathology, Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
Research Management In department Of Pathology HKL
|1||List of research for the year 2012 and 2013 (completed /on-going)||70|
|2||List of presentation on research||10|
|3||List of publication on research||8|
|4||List of technical presentation for the year 2012||117|
- Continuous Medical Education (CME): Meetings with clinical departments, case presentations, lectures and journal read are conducted regularly at unit and departmental level.
- In-service training is provided for staff within the department according to each specific unit requirement to improve clinical, technological and analytical skill in the existing or new services. Where relevant staffs are also sent for courses conducted by other agencies and professional bodies within and outside the country e.g. sub specialty training to acquire skill and knowledge and skill in a specific field of pathology.
- Attachment training in pathology for medical undergraduates from local and foreign universities.
- Post-graduate training for Masters of Pathology candidates and short attachment training for candidates of other Masters Program in Medicine.
- Industrial training for undergraduates of medical related science degree courses from the various universities in Malaysia.
- Attachment training for students from the College of Medical Technology, Kuala Lumpur.
- In-service training for medical laboratory technologists from other hospitals in the Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
Note: To apply for training please writes to:
Head of Department
Department of Pathology
Hospital Kuala Lumpur
50586 Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur