|Head of Department||PUAN RUHANA BINTI MAHMOD|
Counselling is a structured helping process, conducted by a counsellor that uses humanistic psychological approach to assist the client. Counsellors facilitate, guide, give support, and encourage clients to get insight so that the client can make decisions to solve their own problems and cope with their difficulties.
The first psychology and counselling services executed by a professional counsellor was in October 16th, 1993 at the Department of Psychiatry, HKL. These services mainly provide counselling for psychiatric patients who are referred and their families. Unit of Counselling Psychology (UPsK), Hospital Kuala Lumpur was established under the Hospital Management on May 14, 2001. The psychological counselling services offered by UPsK were expanded to all customers in Hospital Kuala Lumpur and the staff.
UPsK will be a centre of excellence in counselling and psychological services emphasizing on professional customer-focused services.
UPsK will provide counselling and psychological services on mental health and emotional well-being to clients that:
• are responsive and attentive;
• are professional and performed by a trained psychology officer,
• will implement the latest interventions and focuses on humanity approaches;
• will be improved by conducting research on counselling and psychological services that has been provided by the unit;
5.0 OBJECTIVE AND FUNCTION UNIT
• to assist clients and families to accept themselves emotionally and psychologically;
• to assist clients and their families towards insight;
• to assist clients and their families in constructing appropriate coping strategies with in their capabilities.
1. Conduct counseling services and psychological interventions to patients, patients’ next of kin and significant others and HKL staffs.
• Individual Counseling
• Group Counseling
• Family and Marriage Counseling
2. Conduct Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and activities for HKL staffs.
• Providing psychosocial education
• Conduct courses related to psychology and counselling
• Handling financial management program
• Manage the process of screening, intervention and psychological monitoring for implementation of Exit Policy
• Handling Rakan Pembimbing Perkhidmatan Awam (AKRAB) Program
3. Administer and interpret a appropriate psychometric tests and mental health screening.
4. Conduct management and administrative tasks such as preparation of statistics and case reports.
5. Conduct research related in psychology and counselling field.
1. UPsK staff will treat customers warmly, promptly and caring as soon as the referral letter is received.
2. Counseling unit operates four (4) days a week from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Operation starts from 8 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm
3. Each individual counseling session should be conducted for at least 45 minutes while group / family and marriage counseling should be at least 90 minutes.
4. Clients / patients must inform UPsK at least 2 days before the appointment date if unable to attend appointment.
5. Clients / patients should arrive 10 minutes earlier before the appointment that has been set. A new appointment will be given if the client is late more than 30 minutes.
6. Clients / patients will be informed on counseling psychology services.
7.0 ORGANIZATION CHART
8.0 COUNSELLING PSYCHOLOGY SERVICES :
8.1 PSYCHOLOGY APPLICATIONS IN INTERVENTION
Aimed to guide and facilitate clients (patients and staff) to manage their challenges/problems more effectively through sessions: -
i. Individual Counselling
• Time taken up will be around forty-five (45) minutes to sixty (60) minutes.
• Involves a face to face interaction between two individuals (the psychological officer and the client) where the psychological officer facilitates the exploration and resolution of personal issues that are experienced by the client.
ii. Familly Counselling
An intervention where the psychology/counsellor officer helps and coaches members of the family to realize, and consequently, accept the situation that they are in to resolve the conflict they experience in a productive manner as well as to mend the relationship between family members.
iii. Crisis Intervention
Is a process that treats an individual who experienced disaster, or a tragic or traumatic experience. Examples: rape, attempted suicide, out of wedlock pregnancy, abuse, and acute stress due to a disaster.
iv. Group Counselling
• Time taken up is ninety (90) minutes to one hundred and twenty (120) minutes.
• Involves a minimum of five individuals. The Psychology Officer will use therapeutic counselling skills to facilitate an understanding of self and encourage a change in individual behaviour.
v. Relaxation Therapy
• Conducted on clients who experiences emotional and psychological stress.
• Train clients to systematically use recreational techniques. Examples: difficulty in managing anger, experiences neurotic and anxiety issues.
vi. Parenting Skill
To provide skills for parents who face challenges in teaching, managing and handling their children’s behaviour.
8.2 PSYCHOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS IN CLIENT ASSESSMENT
Aims to help clients understand their personality, emotions, attitudes, interests and self-potential by using psychological tests. This application is used during counselling sessions, workshops, Continuous Professional Development Programs [CPD], selection, and placement.
8.3 PSYCHOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS IN PERSONNEL DEVELOPMENT
Aims to enhance excellent work values, work culture, as well as work ethics, and inculcate positive attitude to staff of HKL through Continuous Professional Development Programs [CPD] such as talks, courses, training etc.
8.4 CLIENT REFERRAL PROCEDURE
Procedure to receive counselling services:
CLIENT REFERRAL PROCEDURE
Procedure to receive counselling services:
• The counselling clinic operates on only four (4) days of the week which are on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
• The clinic’s operation times are from 8.00AM to 5.00PM ( Mondays to Thursdays Only )
• The clinics located at 2 sites : Level 3, Specialist Complex And Ambulatiory Care Centre (SCACC) and Block K8, Wisma Rekod, HKL.
For further enquiries, please contact us at 03-26155970.
Trainings/courses given are:
i. Communication skills
ii. Teamwork, coping skills
iii. Stress management
iv. Anger management and many more